NTFS - a little off topic

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 18 15:49:21 CST 2003

Quoting rod holcomb <rodbrenda.2 at gbronline.com>:

> are listed after a “ls –l” command but I cannot access them.  Actually the
> file type is (?) instead of (d) and the size is zero as I recall.
> Any suggestions on getting to this data (if in still exists)?  I can ask him
> for the usernames and passwords that he had been using.

Usernames and passwords wouldn't be honored at a file listing level by a non-
Windows system.  They might be necessary to actually open a file, but not to
list or copy it.

Clearly the filesystem is damaged.  I would recommend using something like
Norton from a Microsoft suite, as I don't believe the Linux-based tools for
working with NTFS are sufficiently advanced to let you do good recovery.