NTFS - a little off topic

rod holcomb rodbrenda.2 at gbronline.com
Mon Mar 17 18:50:54 CST 2003

Situation:
My neighbor gave me a 20 gig hd that came out of his WinXP machine.   I would like to recover a few
files (address book and email) for him before I reformat the drive.  I was able to mount the drive
(on a RH8.0 machine) and I can see the directory structure.  I can access the

/WINDOWS                 directory, but the directories

/Program Files           and
/Documents and Setting

are listed after a “ls –l” command but I cannot access them.  Actually the file type is (?) instead
of (d) and the size is zero as I recall.

Any suggestions on getting to this data (if in still exists)?  I can ask him for the usernames and
passwords that he had been using.

I can also bring my server (RH8.0) with the WinXP drive attached to the next meeting if that might
help.

It has been suggested to me to get a dos boot floppy from NTFS.com and use that.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rod Holcomb