burning cdroms

Jason Clinton jasonclinton at kcpipeband.org
Sun Mar 16 00:02:47 CST 2003

Duane Attaway wrote:
> I'm burning cdrom backups.  What is "fixating?"  Is it really necessary?
> Why does it take so long?  Can I just skip it?
>
> I couldn't find any reference to it in the cdrecord source code except for
> the command to the drive... or in the cdrom-howto.  :(

IIRC, fixating is another copy of the File Allocation Table so that if
the laser is at the end of the disc, it doesn't have to go all the way
back to the beginning to get the FAT. I think there is a way to mount
CD-ROMS that haven't been fixated but I'm not sure. I know you can burn
disks in "track at once" mode and come back and add more data later.
Fixation for track at once vs disc at once is shorter.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.