Installing Imp

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Mar 14 19:14:33 CST 2003

I have installed Imp on two systems, and I don't think you can get much
simpler than the directions in the INSTALL files.

Downnload horde
untar
move to /var/www/http/horde
cd /var/www/http/horde
screen
less docs/INSTALL
<new screen>
create MySQL user per INSTALL
Test user login to MySQL
create databases from scripts/... per INSTALL
cd horde/config
create php config files using 'for foo in...' per INSTALL
open <site> horde/test.php
Correct any errors
download imp
<close screen>
close INSTALL
download/untar imp
move to horde/imp
create imp php configuration files
edit horde/config/horde.php to set password for MySQL
edit horde/config/registry.php to set horde to use imp login and activate imp
edit horde/imp/config/conf.php to set authentication options (IMAP is what I
use)
edit horde/imp/config/sources.php to point to your mail source (IMAP again).
Optional: install Turba.

Be sure to follow the Admin FAQ at horde.org in case of errors, but if you
just go through each INSTALL file step-by-step it works fine.  You may
encounter a common PHP error which is documented in the FAQ about an illegal
call on line 64, just edit the file with the error and remove the obsolete
"is_error" statement per the FAQ.

Seriously, if you just follow the INSTALL files and check the FAQ if you get
an error, you should be up and running in an hour.