Unexplained Segmentation Faults

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 21:47:56 CST 2003

Like Chris said, check to see that the /var is not full.  If you have a
hardware failure it is more likely to be in the chipset on the motherboard.
I think it is the North Bridge that contains the hard drive controller.
Put another drive in the system with a fresh OS load.  Any OS.   And see if
you get write errors still.
I had this problem with a users' Pentium 4 PC (6 months old) running Windows
XP.  I replaced the drive and ghosted a fresh image to the PC.  On first
reboot after ghost I got a blue screen of Death with kernel errors.   I
tried to load from CD to eleminate the networking element and got the same
result.   I replaced the motherboard and it was doing the same thing.  Safe
mode didn't help, but did point out that the last driver loaded was a module
for the AGP set.   So next I replaced the motherboard again and also the
video card.   I should have replaced one thing at a time to prove which it
was, but I was in a hurry and had the parts from the OEM so one of the two
things fixed it.
You can also remove all cards, but the video and unplug CD and floppy and
any non-essential devices, add one thing at a time until the problem
reappears.   This method can help with any hardware troubleshooting.
Hope it helps.
Brian