jobs?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Wed Mar 12 08:07:15 CST 2003

I am halfway though my 14th month, but I had a decent severance package,
a wife with a good job, good construction skills and a network of caring
people to steer some non-I/T jobs my way.  I am getting by, sort of.
(OK, it gripes me that I can't justify a computer upgrade right now!)

The thing I find most amazing is the lack of vision in the business
world.  I applied for a $12.00 hour job with an I/T firm that was using
Linux.  I was willing to take a big pay cut to get into someplace that
was running Linux.  They passed me over because they felt the job was
'below me'.  (I had been making almost $50k before the lay-off)

I will never understand why someone would pass up the chance to get a
$25 per hour employee with proven skills for $12 an hour when they have
the chance.  It was supposed to be a short term gig - 3 to 4 months -
and they desperately needed the help getting organized.  I could have
done the job in 4 weeks and written documentation for the remaining
staff to follow to keep the process running.

Let's see:

$12 per hour for 3 months - $6240 PLUS taxes, ins. & bennies

or

$25 per hours for 4 weeks - $4000!  And I would have written online
documentation so their staff could maintain the system, and organized
more effective offsite storage to boot!

Of course this comparison is skewed, because I was willing to work for
the $12 just to work for a company running Linux.  In reality, it would
have cost them less than $2500!!!

--
A marble traveling at 22,000 miles per hour would strike with as
much force as a 400-pound safe traveling at just 60 miles per hour.