Nostalgia

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 11 15:47:50 CST 2003

Quoting "Leonard, Phil" <Phil.Leonard at dsionline.com>:

> The first computer that I used would have been an IBM S/360 via a 2741
> printing terminal (a Selectric typewriter and a 134.5baud modem) using the
> APL language.  This would have been 1971.

Weren't those great old systems?  I don't really remember the baud rate of our
connection, although it was an acoustic coupler at first - you put the phone
handset in a couple of rubber cups after dialing the number.  We upgraded to a
direct connection that year, which would have been about '73.

APL was an incredible language.  Our goal was always to see who could get the
program down to the fewest lines of code (which often meant one line).

9][0.