Video Wall setup

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Mon Mar 10 15:43:46 CST 2003

A couple of jobs ago, we built lots of systems with multihead cards.  Most
of the ones that we built were powering 12 screens through 3 four-headed
PCI cards, and we didn't have all that many problems despite the fact that
they were running the first release of Win95.

The main thing is to make sure that your multi-head cards were designed to
work with each other.  It was my experience at the time that most of the
multi-head cards on the market were only designed to work by themselves and
they didn't play well with other cards, even if they were identical cards.
After trying a number of different brands, we settled on Colorgraphic
cards:

http://www.colorgraphic.net/newsite/products/multiscreen_overview.asp

Solid drivers, and good support, at least back in 1996.  They are still in
business, so that says something too.  They ain't cheap, but they work.  No
Linux support to speak of.

Hope this helps.

- Kevin

                    Brad Crotchett

                    <brad at ispn.net>              To:     kclug at kclug.org

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Video Wall setup

                    lliana.net

                    03/07/2003 05:22 PM

Hey all,

I am trying to set up a video wall at work out of 6 42 inch plasma
screens.  We currently have a pc running windows (ugh) that is running
the wall.  It has an ati radeon 7500 all-in-wonder as the primary card
and 3 dual head vga pci cards for the other monitors.  We are having
some issues with windows (no kidding) and I am pushing for Linux, but I
need to know what is and is not going to work.  Our goal is to be able
to view anything we want over all 6 screens.  In windows, most video
players will only play a movie on one screen, other than quicktime which
seems to be able to play over multiple, but not all 6.

Does anyone have experience with multiple monitors and have an idea how
this will work out?  Any input is appreciated, I don't want to install
Linux and end up not being able to play vcd's and Dish network etc.
Ideally I would be able to full screen these over all 6 monitors.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

--
Brad Crotchett <brad at ispn.net>