Video Wall setup

Jason Clinton jasonclinton at kcpipeband.org
Sat Mar 8 16:49:13 CST 2003

Duane Attaway wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Brad Crotchett wrote:
>

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I am trying to set up a video wall at work out of 6 42 inch plasma
>>screens.  We currently have a pc running windows (ugh) that is running
>

> Have you considered using the xinerama feature in the latest version of
> X11?
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/
>
> 1. Introduction
>
> Why do you need Xinerama ? And what is it ? The Xinerama extensions were
> introduced to the XFree86 system in version 4.0. Xinerama is an extension

There's only one problem with XInerama: for the most part, 2D and 3D
acceleration will only work on the first head. So, yes, you can do the
video wall but only if you play your video using the XShm driver as
opposed to Xv (atleast, all of this was true of XFree 4.1) OpenGL cannot
be played accross heads.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.