vnc

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Mar 5 19:41:34 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jeremy Fowler wrote:

> I use TightVNC and love it. It's very secure, and it compresses and encrypts
> packets along the wire.

I've read the documentation for TightVNC a couple of times in recent months
and while it does offer various levels of compression, it does not encrypt
anything by itself. You can use SSH to tunnel it and thereby encrypt
transmissions.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

"[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the
British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsyl-
vania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to
enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let
them sink gradually... I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the
whole people, except a few public officers."
   -- George Mason, Virginia's U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788