Linux ATA RAID

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Wed Mar 5 16:40:13 CST 2003

Yes, but you will have a severe performance hit. You can't communicate with both
drives at the same time on one channel. So you put each drive on it's own
channel to optimize performance - which is why you would use RAID to begin with.

However, you might want to look at SerialATA as an option. The standard has been
out for awhile, but they are just now starting to release SerialATA drives. You
could use an adapter to convert normal IDE drives to the SerialATA interface if
you wish to use current hardware. ASUS has a couple motherboards that have
SerialATA RAID onboard (A7N8X), or there are PCI adapter cards you can buy. I'm
just not sure on Linux support yet. Has anyone used SerialATA RAID cards with
Linux?