HTML Convertors/Generators

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Mar 5 13:56:52 CST 2003

Quoting Duane Attaway <dattaway at dattaway.org>:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > Quoting Jason Clinton <clintonj at umkc.edu>:

> > > JEdit ... bluefish ... quanta ... Kate

> > How about some relative merits?  One of the problems often cited about
> > major linux distros is that they throw all of these different tools for
> > the same job at you, and your only option is to spend hours learning
> > one, then hours learning another, then another, then choose.  I mean,
> > anybody can do a search on Freshmeat and come up with a list of
> > programs, but which is worth spending the time learning?

> ... gentoo.

I knew that paragraph was going to draw a comment from the gentoo crowd on this
list.  If nothing else, gentoo has avoided the "install everything including
the kitchen sink" paradigm.

Mandrake/KDE's KPackage offers a nice ability to browse packages with
descriptions and other information.  RPM -qi offers similar information on the
command line.   The problem with KPackage is that the database is limited to
the install CD's and a VERY DISFUNCTIONAL mirror catalog system.  9 out of 10
tries I have not been able to pull a package update and it's required
dependencies from the mirrors, and even if the dependencies are available on
the CD's it will sometimes fail.

Gentoo succeeds because it limits itself to what works - a pretty good plan.