Linux ATA RAID

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Mar 5 00:39:15 CST 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Lucas Peet wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you have 2 drives per channel?  At 4
> channels x2 drives that should give you up to 8 drives?

>From what I understand, it is not recommended if you want maximum bus
bandwidth as each IDE channel is shared by a logic bit.  Flip the enable
bit for the other channel and the other is put on hold.  SCSI is designed
for sending out batches of commands to the drives and waiting for the
drives to assert the bus when they are ready to dump the batches of
information.  From what I am told, the IDE bus is locked until that drive
dumps the information, is reset, or else it is in a undeterminate state an
subject to race conditions.  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's from what
I remember from 10 years ago.

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine