Linux ATA RAID

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Mar 4 21:46:05 CST 2003

Repost since the list seems alive again:

Anyone got any experience with linux and hardware ATA RAID controller
cards?  I need to put together a server with 500+ Gig of
storage.  The Dell server purchased for this has on-board SCSI (Dell
1400-SC), but SCSI drives are still expensive vs. ATA for the same capacity.

I'm debating using SCSI drives vs. buying a hardware RAID and using
cheaper IDE drives.  I have fast/wide PCI slots available, so I'd prefer
a fast-wide hardware IDE raid card, but performance is really secondary
to data integrity and low-cost (it's not a perfect world, after all!).

Any suggestions on something that might play well with linux, or should
I just buy a bunch of SCSI drives and setup SW RAID?

NOTE:  I'll need to use RAID 5, since capacity and cost are the driving
issues, and the server isn't particularly fast (1.13 GHz P3), so I'm
thinking there might be a benifit to off-loading the RAID processing to
a hardware card, even if it's IDE.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net