HTML Convertors/Generators

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 4 21:26:48 CST 2003

This is a Windows related quetion, but I'd love a Linux based solution.

Have you seen what MS Word 2000 generates for "HTML"?  They don't even
call it HTML, they call it a web page.  For a simple one-screen
document, they generate page after page of gack, stylesheet, and XML
code.  I just took one such page with a single graphic in it, and tried
to change the name of the graphic.  It was called at least twice in
some sort of 'if, then' code, but no clue how they're actually posting
it to the page.

With Word 97, it was possible to take a document and use "save as HTML"
function to get rough HTML that needed only a few global deletes to
clean it up (mostly strip all the stupid FONT statements.  This no-
longer seems to be a viable option, so what can I use instead?

I want to be able to convert an MS Word 97 or 2000 document to
reasonably clean HTML that can be hacked by a sysadmin in a text editor.

Failing that, we once again open the call for HTML editors for Linux.

(Maybe I'll make that RH8.0 leap this weekend and not wait for 8.1 afer
all.  Anybody worked with the current beta?)