Virtual Machines under Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jun 26 15:49:23 CDT 2003

Quoting Duane Attaway <dattaway at dattaway.org>:

> Behold:

> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

> where you can even compile and start new kernels without rebooting!  Its
> like installing a server farm within a single computer.

Yeah, found that like 30 seconds after I posted.

Anybody have any experience with it?  Hardware requirements?

It looks like it would be a significant project to migrate an independent
server with a "live" IP address and multiple virtual hosts to this kind of
setup.  I'd have to do some tricky rewrites on the firewall to get the right
URLs to the VM from the host (one NIC/IP).