Laptops, UPS, Sound

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jun 26 00:34:45 CDT 2003

Quoting Tim Reid <darkweb4 at gbronline.com>:

> First of all, I'm looking at maybe buying a used/refurbished IBM
> thinkpad.

I'll make you a deal on a 380Z.  I think it's 150MHz.

> ... what are some pitfalls to look out for in buying older laptops?

Assume that you will have to buy a new battery.

Modem, network card, CD, Display, and Memory are the things that fail, in that
order.  (Displays fail from abuse, the rest just goes.)  If it boots, runs a
RAM test, reads a recorded CD, dials and connects to the network, I would have
it suspend and resume to make sur most of it comes back on line.

> Does anyone have much experiance with UPS's for personal use?

APC or Belkin are good brands, I would go for one that has "conditioning" or
voltage regulation - will make up brownouts, which can be very hard on some
equipment.  You don't really need a "smart" ups for a single PC. Linux will
work with any I've seen.

> I'm looking for a mid-line soundcard ...

I've never understood why anyone would mess with anything but a SoundBlaster
(Live) if they were serious, unless they were into high-end digital recording.