Various Help Needed on SuSE (8.1) Install

Wed Jun 18 15:45:39 CDT 2003

Rich Edelman wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 09:08 am, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
>>Quoting Robert Johnson <Rjohns22 at kc.rr.com>:
>>
>>>Problem #3
>>>
>>>Whether I type the 'halt' command in a Root Shell, or whether I try to
>>>turn off the Computer via the KDE Desktop logout process, the Laptop
>>>will not power down.
>>>
>>>Problem #5
>>>
>>>The OS/KDE Desktop is not regocognizing the Power Managment Features of
>>>the laptop.
>>
>>These two are clearly related.  Is APMD installed and running?
>>
>>Have you found anything on the XFree86 site on your graphics chipset?
>

> Actually, for "Problem #3", you don't need apmd or acpid installed and
> running, system poweroff is handled entirely by the kernel.
>
> That being said, I believe the laptop in question does not have APM support,
> only ACPI support. Most distros turn off ACPI support, as it's not entirely
> implemented in Linux. I'm not sure about SuSE 8.1, but I know that SuSE 8.2
> does not turn off ACPI support (look for kernel boot parameter 'pci=noacpi'
> or 'acpi=off').
>
> Also, that laptop may have a broken ACPI implementation, but it is possible to
> fix that yourself. Read http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php for more
> details on that.
>
> (Problem #5) Also note that with linux kernel 2.4.x, it is not possible to
> suspend/resume properly with ACPI (but I believe it works with APM, could
> someone else verify this?). Sleep/standby reportedly works fine by both APM
> and ACPI-enabled machines that support sleep-modes (ACPI mode S1).

There was a change between suse 8.0 and 8.2, and I don't know if it
changed in 8.1 to default to using acpi instead of apm.  My laptop did
not support acpi.  I had to do the following to lilo for it to work.
Check the append line for what I added. The kernel is stupid, and does
not care who does this, but the first one loaded will be the one that
gets to do your power management.  The APM or ACPI modules do handle the
poweroff at the end of a shutdown, so this would be the likely culprit.
<lilo snip>
image = /boot/vmlinuz
     label = SuSE
     root = /dev/hda7
     vga = 788
     initrd = /boot/initrd
     append = "acpi=off"
</lilo snip>

--
The mome rath isn't born that could outgrabe me.
		-- Nicol Williamson