Various Help Needed on SuSE (8.1) Install

Robert Johnson Rjohns22 at kc.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 12:07:56 CDT 2003

I am looking for technical assistance following a SuSE (8.1) install I just completed on my new
Toshiba laptop. The following lists out the laptop's specs and the problems I am seeking help
with...

OS Loaded On:  Toshiba Laptop - Satellite 1135-S1552
Intel Pentium 4 Processor @ 2.0GHz
30GB HDD
512MB of DDR SDRAM Memory
DVD/CD-RW
Integrated Modem (Intel V.92 56K-82801DB AC '97(rev 03)
Integrated Realtek 8100BL 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet Card

Problem #1

I cannot get the OS to recognize the integrated modem. YaST2 is not detecting that there is a modem
in the Laptop.

Problem #2

The OS is not recognizing the Laptop's graphics card & monitor (YaST2 - Graphical desktop
environment = Card: unknown unknown (fbdev) and is defaulting my resolution to 800x600 (16bit) 3D
Acceleration: Unavailable.) The following is displayed when I run the  'hwinfo --gfxcard' command:

13: PCI 02.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.65]
Unique ID: _Znp.MZsF jq1QmoF
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "Toshiba America Info VGA compatible controller"
Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
Device:  pci 0x3582
SubVendor:  pci 0x1179 "Toshiba America Info Systems"
SubDevice:  pci 0xff00
Revision: 0x01
Memory Range: 0xe8000000-??? (rw,prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xe0000000-??? (rw,non-prefetchable)
I/O Ports: 0x1800-0x1807
IRQ: 11 (3695 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=yes

*Note: According to the Toshiba Website, this laptop model either has an 'Intel Montara GML 128 Bit
Graphic Accellerator' or it has an 'Intel 852GM 128 Bit Graphic Accellerator'.

Problem #3

Whether I type the 'halt' command in a Root Shell, or whether I try to turn off the Computer via
the KDE Desktop logout process, the Laptop will not power down. The OS seems to shut itself down,
but the power remains on. The last three lines in the shutdown log reads:

proc unmounted
The system will be halted immediately
Master Resource Control: runlevel 0 has been           reached

Problem #4

I cannot get my HP Printers installed / working. (Model: HP Deskjet 712c & Deskjet 3425) The OS
'seems' to recognize / support the model 712c (via the parellel port), but I cannot get anything to
print to it; not even a test. The OS sees the model 3425 printer (via the USB port) during an
auto-detect, but will not allow me to configure it.

Problem #5

The OS/KDE Desktop is not regocognizing the Power Managment Features of the laptop.

Sincerely,

Robert Johnson