traffic shaper

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Jun 16 21:13:12 CDT 2003

Matt G wrote:

>Does anyone know of something like this, but from a software level?
>Well...maybe it's not like this at all.  Here is what I'm looking for.  I
>run a small irc fserver for some friends to dl some live recordings.  My
>little server runs from XChat using Obsidian Fserve perl script.  When I
>used to use Mirc in windows to run this, I could set mirc to only use so
>much bandwidth.  So, I gave it like 2/3 of my upload, leaving 1/3 for normal
>use.
>
>I don't see anything like this in XChat.  Does anyone know what might do
>that?
>
>Second, I can't find a way to watch my bandwidth in Linux.  In Windows, I
>was use a  product called DUMeter...just showed ul/dl current bandwidth as
>well as some daily, weekly, and monthly reports.    Anyone know a linux tool
>like that?

It's built in to the kernel. It's called quality of service. Basically,
you arrange packets in the order of importance and priority is given to
things at the top of the list.

There are user space tools to set your preferences but I don't know what
they're called.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.