Free Software Foundation probes Linksys

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jun 15 17:04:57 CDT 2003

Quoting david nicol <whatever at davidnicol.com>:

>> ... if Linksys can be persuaded to abide by
>> the terms of the GPL...the software
>> needed to make a free Linux-based access point
>> becomes available."

> I wonder what part is missing currently.

>From what I understand it's difficult to get most of the drivers for the cards
to run in Access Point mode under Linux; Open drivers for the 22Mb chipsets (TI
ACX100) are not ready and the non-open drivers that were released then pulled
by DLink aren't very stable (I've had to do full reinstalls three times); the
drivers for the 56M chipsets are completely unavailable in Linux.

Most of the wireless cards that are supported in Linux are the odball high-end
brand cards that cost three times what the average CompUSA card will cost and
are hard to find anywhere but on-line.