Network usage

Patrick Miller pert at tas-kc.com
Fri Jun 13 03:17:06 CDT 2003

<top post>
There is one proxy server that allows a certain amount of free time a
day on the net. So if you give 2 15 minute breaks you could set it to 20
minutes figuring they should spend at least some of there time on there
feet, using the rest room, and keeping healthy...etc. And then you can
still block the truly unwanted sites.

Sorry I can't remember the brand. you'll have to search... I think it
was one of the popular ones that just linked to several of the major
firewalls.
</top post><old msg><_-_you don't need to read the below message if you
are following the thread, and if you are not following the thread and
don't find the above worthy  > /dev/null

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>Quoting David Holland <david at gotoacs.com>:
>

>>My employer has asked me to find a utility that will monitor LAN web
>>usage.  Specifically, who is going where, when, for how long, etc.
>>Various searches on Google find internet providers that supply these
>>services but I'm looking to sell this software to my customers.  The
>>network configurations vary as well.  In some cases I'll be working with
>>Win2k as a DNS or Exchange server or no server at all and just a router
>>or PIX firewall.  I welcome any suggestions.
>>

>The broadest solution would be to install a proxy server, which should come
>with some reporting utilities.
>
>It's worth noting that spying on workers is not very good for employee morale,
>but with the current unemploment situation that probably isn't a concern for
>management.  It has been shown that workers who are managed by output - what
>they actually get done, as opposed to activity - what they're actually doing
>at any given moment - are much more productive.  It has also been shown that
>users who are allowed unrestricted access to the internet from work are
>generally more productive than those who aren't.   They are able to take care
>of trivial tasks that they would otherwise have to take time away from work to
>do.
>
>In spite of the study after study though, micro-management, intrusive employee
>surveilance, and treating workers like the enemy continue to be popular among
>certain managers.

>This mail sent through tarcanfel's horde/imp system

Patrick Miller -- Telephone Answerette Systems Inc.
IS/Telecom Tech. -- EVE Soon to be Infinity
Kansas City, MO
Ofc 816-753-7332 -- Cell 816-210-4077