LinNeighborhood error message

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Wed Jun 11 16:08:27 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 09:32, David A. Foote wrote:
> Hello, I'm David and I'm running into a problem with LinNeighborhood.
> When I try to mount a share I get the following message: smbmnt must be
> installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500) smbmnt faied: 1.
> Can someone interpret this and tell me how to fix the error?  It was
> working fine before I upgraded my system to X2 desktop.  I'm running
> RedHat 9.0 and attempting to share with a notebook running XP,  Thanks.
>
> D. Foote

>From the smbmnt man page (man smbmnt):

smbmnt is a helper application used by the smbmount program to  do  the
actual  mounting of SMB shares.  smbmnt can be installed setuid root if you
want normal users to be able to mount their SMB shares.

A setuid smbmnt will only allow mounts  on  directories  owned  by the user,
and that the user has write permission on.

The smbmnt program is normally invoked by smbmount(8) It should not be
invoked directly by users.
====

To install smbmnt suid (set uid) root do the following two things:

Find where smbmnt is installed by typing `type smbmnt' (You may want to do
this a root because the location of smbmnt may not be in your user path.

Change the permissions of smbmnt to include the suid bit by typing the
following `chmod u+s {path to smbmnt}'.

Please note that there are security implications in doing this.  A suid root
program will run as root.  If smbmnt is discovered to have a buffer
overflow or similar bug in it, the bug can be used to gain root access to
your box.