Little Syslog Trick WAS: Re: Replacing bad CDRom drive

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Tue Jun 10 04:30:54 CDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 21:58, Duane Attaway wrote:
> I believe one of the shell consoles (CTL-ALT-F3?) they have the syslog
> output where you can see all the hardware detection, events, and errors
> that may happen.  Redhat may still use this.  Very handy.

If you are using syslogd (sysklogd), you can add the following to
/etc/syslog.conf and have all system log messages appear on VT12
(CTRL-ALT-F12):

*.*	/dev/tty12

The advantage to this is you don't have to login to see what is or is not
being log.  However, sensitive information can be exposed so don't do this
on a system that is not physically secured from prying eyes or if
information security is important to you.