Replacing bad CDRom drive

Jon Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Mon Jun 9 22:50:46 CDT 2003

After spending the entire weekend attempting to install three (3) different versions of Redhat, I
finally determined (I know, I'm a little slow when it comes to hardware) that my CD-ROM drive is
dying.

I have a new 52x CD-ROM I would like to install in it's place.  I've done this many, many times on
WinDoze computers, but never on a Linux workstation.

Is Linux (Redhat 7.3 currently installed) Plug-N-Play?  I've reviewed the HowTos at the Linux
Documentation Project (the CDROM one is nearly two years old) and it seems to indicate that I will
have to re-install or re-compile the kernel.  Is this true?

My intention is to get the CD ROM working so I can upgrade to RedHat 9 (which is what I started
doing last Friday evening with no luck; I was at RedHat 8 when I started).

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Jon Moss
jon.moss at cnonline.net