Building a TiVo, a Step at a Time

Rip Cord ripcrd6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 14:23:50 CDT 2003

I got an I/O Magic card from CompUSA when they had their grand opening in Independence.  It has a
BT478 chip I think so it should work.   i also have an old STB card that will probably work under
Linux.  I have a CD with the drivers for Windows, but I could never get it to work, imagine that.
I bought the STB cable from Ebay a couple of years ago and the drivers were on  a burned CD.  The
card was originally intended for some kind of Gateway PC based on the way the interfaced looked,
but the card never worked and I got a IR Remote also.  I'm going to use LIRC for the remote and
either Myth TV or Freevo for the PVR.   It looks like the Myth TV project is a little further along.

Two LUG meetings ago I brought a PC in and demoed Movix2 (http://movix.sourceforge.net), which
boots a Linux CD and then looks for movies and MP3 files to play.   It uses MPlayer to play all
files.   It worked pretty good and we watched a little bit of O Brother Where Art Thou.   It does
take a while to get the movie started up from CD as it appears to cache quite a bit of the film
before it starts.

Brian Kelsay (Posting from not-home)

Kurt <kessler2k@> wrote:
hello, i am SOOO into this. are you planning on
building one? one thing i was going to let you know,
is we have the Hauppauge pvr-250 card at my work for
150, though i could get it cheaper with my discount.
if youre interested, let me know. but i am very
interested in this and may get started sometime in the
near future. would be nice to be able to compare notes
with someone doing the same thing. take it easy.

kurt

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59088,00.html