Considering an Athlon XP

Stephen M. Maggard torch at linuxjunkies.com
Mon Jun 9 11:42:43 CDT 2003

> Does anyone have any experience with an Athlon XP processor? I'm helping
> a friend (and his charitable foundation) buy some equipment. I got a
> vendor trying to sell me an Athlon XP instead of a P4 in order to save
> me a little money. We'll dual boot the machine - probably WinXP and
> RedHat 8.0. He'll be running stuff like MS Office, OpenOffice,
> Photoshop, The GIMP, Macromedia's Studio MX suite (Dreamweaver,
> Fireworks, Flash, etc.). Normal stuff for today's desk jockey.
>
> Would anyone have any advice for me? I'd appreciate it.
I have an AthlonXP 1700+ and don't think I could find a single thing to
gripe about, I have been using AMD products for a long time and the XP is
the best chip that they have ever released.  And reviews by several
websites have backed them.  Rating them around the same speed, and in
certain programs faster.  Partly due to the XP chips having 3dnow, 3dnow+
and SSE.

--
Stephen M. Maggard
torch at linuxjunkies.com