OT: password/passphrase generation

Tim Reid darkweb4 at gbronline.com
Thu Jun 5 20:16:09 CDT 2003

hey all,

I've been looking at some of the high-level popular crypto/security
texts lately, and one of the more interesting things that struck me was
the different methods of generating/choosing passcodes.  I've now seen
several different methods used (APG, diceware, etc.)  I haven't made up
my mind as to the most secure (within reason for a common user like me)
method of password generation for both login passwords and PGP/GPG
passphrases...

What does everybody use for secure/random password/passphrase
generation?  What are some of the different aspects of "your" method?
Do you go for speed, maximum bits of entropy, etc.?

--Tim

OT: PS:  I had someone ask me a "brainteaser" in a IRC channel, and I
haven't been able to get back to them...but I think I know the answer.
But I thought that I might share it with all you smart KCluggers :P

What number does not belong?  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  And why does it not belong?