I've had it

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Jun 2 02:00:50 CDT 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Joshua Bergland wrote:

> I agree totally ... You also forgot the part about after sitting around for
> two hours, you get the chance to go to the nastiest Denny's I have ever
> been to ... I went to two meetings, and decided it wasn't worth my time ...
> There is no structure, you just sit around and talk geek for a couple hours,
> then go to a Denny's and do the same ... That's not a meeting ... Sounds
> like the iLUG meetings are better, just if they weren't smack dab in the
> middle of a Saturday ... Guess its hard to please everyone :-P

I suppose it's not really my place to chime in here, seeing how I've never
been to a meeting. However, I'm subscribed to a number of LUG lists and have
been active in other VOLUNTEER organizations.

LUGs, like nearly every other VOLUNTEER org, is what we as members make of it.
Sort of like Linux and open source in general. You got an itch? Scratch it.
You don't like the way something is being done, change it, by making
suggestions, complaining or what have you. Don't like the way the meetings are
being run, offer to present something or offer to start planning the meetings.

I've never understood this mentality of "Oh this thing that I have some
control over really sucks, I'm quitting, unsubbing, no longer attending, etc."

Since subscribing to this list (and many others) I've been innundated with
spam. But, I grabbed SpamAssassin and I've reduced that problem substantially.

When crap breaks out (like this) on the list and I don't want to hear about
it, I hit the "D" key and move on.

All that being said, I vote for restricting posts to subscribers only. And if
there's an archive, it would be nice if it didn't have to include our email
addresses.

Out of curiosity, why do folks use majordomo? I admin a couple of mailing
lists using mailman and from what I can tell, it's far easier to deal with.

Later.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

If you permit yourself to read meanings into (rather than drawing meanings out
of) the evidence, you can draw any conclusion you like.
-- Michael Keith, "The Bar-Code Beast", The Skeptical Enquirer Vol 12 No 4 p 416