ipopd

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Fri Jul 18 13:43:46 CDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:12:22 +0000
Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at opus1.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 01:16 pm, Frank Wiles wrote:
>
> >   Use Qpopper from Qualcom.  http://eudora.com/qpopper.  Not only
> >   does it support UIDL, it's about 4500% better in every other
> >   respect. Speed, security, features, etc.
>
> I'm sure it's a very nice program.  Unfortunately, those ridiculous
> Mac-heads at Qualcomm have converted the installations to a PDF manual
> so you have to have a GUI playstation available to read it.
>
> Don't these people understand that SERVERS are usually CONSOLE BASED,
> for security and efficiency?  They should just give up and release it
> as a Windows binary if they're going to go GUI before you even get to
> the install.
>
> Besides, having used Eudora, I'm not sure I'd trust my mail to a
> Qualcomm program again.

  I agree that having it as a PDF is somewhat of a pain, but it's very
  easy to open on a GUI and convert to text.

  As for the security and efficiency I can personally attest that it has
  had less vulernabilities than WU's POP daemon and it blows the pants
  off it for speed.  I've been using it for 14k+ E-mail accounts for
  over 3 years without incident.

  I'd need twice the hardware if I were using WU's POP daemon.

  Compared to every other POP daemon I've researched I wouldn't use
  anything else.