Linux Shells

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Jan 31 19:13:50 CST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Randy Weidman wrote:

> I was reading in a book, "Unix Using Linux" by Dent and Gaddis, where
> the statement "All Linux Versions use the Bash Shell by default".

Bash seems to be the most popular, rich with features, and maintains
compatibility with the IEEE POSIX standards.  It also has wonderful
command line completion features.  Most init scripts use bash as their
shell.

Other popular shells include ccsh, dsh, esh, pdksh, psh, sash, scsh, tcsh,
zsh.  Bash embraces and extends most of these gracefully.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150