DNS and MTAs

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Jan 31 05:42:54 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:

> However, I have no clue on how to effectively setup DNS or an MTA like
> Sendmail.

I've tried a few MTA's, but I always return to Sendmail.  Sendmail runs on
light resources without bogging down memory and generating tons of
processes when queing mail.  Very nice if your machine has 32MB of memory
or less like I do.  It can do this with many features, such as filtering
mail through blackhole lists before accepting.  Judging from mail headers,
sendmail seems to be the most popular MTA.

Procmail is often used as the next filter for sorting user's mail into
different directories.  There are excellent procmail recepies for mailing
lists and spam.

I use the ISC BIND for dns.  The named process of bind uses a bit more
memory and weighs in around 7MB for its process.

If you install any of these packages by tarball, the documentation is
superb.  The README file is a great starting point and has many great
links.  These are old and proven programs, but be sure to configure these
packages properly as these ports can be quite dangerous if something goes
wrong.  Gentoo makes the configuration setup rather easy with minimal
configuration for a useable system.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                http://counter.li.org user #142150