Question about hardware...

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Jan 31 00:19:11 CST 2003

Matt Graham wrote:
> df shows a lot.  What about a way to find my fat32 partition that isn't
> mounted?  I just created one...but I don't know where in /dev it is, so
> I can mount it.  I'm happy if someone just points me in the right
> direction.  I don't mean to be so needy.

Sort through the kernel startup messages...the kernel outputs partition
information for each drive as it's identified.

Don't want to reboot, run dmesg, and hope the info's still there...

...or run fdisk on each of your drives, looking for the proper partition...

Don't know which physical drives are in your system?  Start crawling
through /proc/scsi and /proc/ide

Cross-reference found partitions/devices with entries in /etc/fstab to
narrow down which devices/partitions to try mounting.

Mount each likely candidate until you find the one with your data...

...or dd in the first few sectors of each partition, and parse the file
manually with your favorite hex editor.  You *DID* at least give the
partition a label so you could later identify it, didn't you?

Still confused?  See an online resource on linux device
numbering/mapping, or post details from above to the list and someone
here can probably do the physical->logical conversion for you.

Final Option: Rewrite windows formatting utility so you *KNOW* where
that partition you just created lives.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net