Homeland Security site misses the slammer worm by a hair

Link, David LINKD DAVE.LINK at leavenworth.army.mil
Wed Jan 29 15:33:33 CST 2003

Oh, NO! Anyone who pucks the link www.nsa.gov will have their family
incarcerated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Combs [mailto:gerald at ethereal.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 9:24 AM
To: Jim Herrmann
Cc: Kclug
Subject: Re: Homeland Security site misses the slammer worm by a hair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Jim Herrmann wrote:

> This has got to be a honeypot, don't you think:
>
> "www.nsa.gov - Microsoft IIS on Windows 2000* - Lingualistek"
>
> Then this:
> "/The website of the National Security Agency shows up as being hosted
> by Lingualistek, a small tech business in Maryland that runs its own
> site on Apache and Linux. on Linux."/
>
> Very curious.

Yeah, it is.  Netcraft says their netblock is owned by Lingualistek:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=on&site=www.nsa.gov&s
ubmit=Examine

ARIN says it's owned by the NSA:

  http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=65.213.217.241

Nitrous.digex.net says their netblock is advertised by Allegiance Telecom
(AS 2548).

The root name servers say DNS belongs to UUNet.

I'm not sure where Netcraft is getting Lingualistek.  Probably some sort
of conspiracy.