web statistics

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Tue Jan 28 17:51:21 CST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Dale wrote:

> What would be a good program to grab webstats off of a
> site?
> I want to be able to see primarly
> a) how many hits the main page gets
> b) individual page hits to determin what people are
> looking at.
>
> and it would be nice if this could be dumped into a
> html format or even spreadsheet format...

I've had good luck with Webalizer (http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/). It's
quick and painless to set up, and generates a ton of useful reports in
HTML.  My only two nits are that it doesn't report on errors (I'd like to
know what people are asking for that I'm not serving) and DNS support is
kinda quirky.  The latter is easily fixed by preprocessing the logs with
ADNS (http://www.gnu.org/software/adns/).

BTW, I'm also using cronolog (http://www.cronolog.org/) to sort my log
files.  It makes processing a lot easier.