KC Linux Journal idea

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Jan 27 19:59:43 CST 2003

Jared Smith wrote:
> There are roughly 250 people on this e-mail list, IIRC.
>
> If it were possible to have a snail mailing list of 1,000 and
> an areawide distribution of another 4,000, for a total of 5,000,
> it would be cost-effective to produce a local KC Linux
> Journal, paid for largely by local advertising. This would be
> a quality (signal-to-noise wise) publication dedicated to integrating
> Linux and other Open Source software into homes, small
> businesses, etc.
>
> I believe this will eventually happen. My question is,
> is now the time? Are there 1,000 people in the Kansas
> City area who are interested enough in Linux to subscribe?
> Free newstand copies would probably go quickly out of
> curiousity's sake, but it is a solid subscriber base that will
> be attractive to advertisers. Would you pay $12 a year for
> a quality local Linux mag? Or should it be free? What do
> you think?

I'd pay at least that for a local mag, and currently pay several times
that for other linux mags with no local content.  Being from Topeka, the
advertising content would also help me to stay on top of what's avaiable
in KC, and buy from folks supporting linux when I have call to purchase
"locally" (within a reasonable car drive) vs mail-order.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net