RoadRunner Scanning Networks

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Jan 27 15:24:14 CST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Dustin Decker wrote:

> http://security.rr.com/probing.htm
>
> Road Runner more or less is stepping up to the plate - they're scanning
> their own IP range looking for proxy's and the like that are
> misconfigured.  In addition, they're scanning the IP of any host that
> connects to their SMTP servers in a move to find open relays.

RR has been doing that for some time.  It keeps a few unfortunate
customers from landing the entire RR address block on blacklists.  I hope
all ISPs scan for popular vulnerabilities as it is a valuable service to
the internet as a whole.  It helps squash spam and deworm the internet.

If only the Chinese government who feels it so necessary to regulate free
speech would look at their relay problem...

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150