How much to charge for a pre-built computer

James Colannino email2jamez at covad.net
Thu Jan 23 21:18:17 CST 2003

That sounds good to me.  You brought up a good point about making sure I
tell the customer when I was able to get the parts at so low of a price.
  Otherwise I could get someone accusing me of cheating them.

Also, as far as your other question, my external standard that I try and
live by is just to be the best person I can be and to try and do good
for others where possible, and to, at the risk of sounding incredibly
corny, try not to do anything that I wouldn't want done to myself.  I
care about other people, and I enjoy doing things for others.  I feel
very strongly about being honest, especially when it comes to money
matters.  Basically in this case, don't lie about the worth or cost of
your materials which you are selling, don't use run arounds and
deceptive gimmics, and don't rip someone off.  Be straight forward and
open in your business practices.  That's my external standard.

James

Jared Smith wrote:

 > On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:28:55 -0800, James Colannino wrote:
 >
 >> Hey everyone.  I don't have much expertise in the field of building
 >> computers as a business, and recently someone told me they would be
 >> interested to have me put together an old computer that they could use
 >> as a low-end server.  I bought a used computer that was supposed to be
 >> just for "parts" for $20, and found out by pricing the individual
 >> components inside that it was worth at least $50, but most likely about
 >> $65-70.  The computer works fine as it is, so there's my old system
 >> right there.  He wanted me to pre-install Linux and a few third party
 >> applications he could use for his webserver such as a firewall and all
 >> that.  The thing is, I don't know how much to charge.  I'm an honest
 >> person, and don't want to overcharge, and I don't know how much I should
 >> charge for the system added to my time installing all the software and
 >> configuring the options and all that.  Should I charge a little less
 >> than the full worth since I got it so cheap, and how much should I
 >> charge for my time and efforts?
 >>
 >> James
 >

 > If you do charge less, make it clear that it was an unusually low
price, otherwise you will find that your customer will quickly return
for more
 > of the same, or will refer others to you who expect that low price.
 >
 > Here in KC you should be able to charge between $30 and $90 per hour
for the service you described. If you are competent, charge
 > the rates you would expect from competent competition. If you are
 > learning, decrease the rates. If you are extremely knowledgeable,
 > charge more, because you're able to offer a more stable and
 > secure system, by nature.
 >
 > BTW, what is your external standard by which you know that you
 > are an honest person? It is impossible to know subjectively; honesty
 > needs to be supported by external evidence (this is because some
 > people claim to be honest, but are not. thus, the appeal to
 > external standards).
 >
 > For example, I escape this particular dilemma by saying "I am seeking
to do the honest thing" rather than saying "I am honest," thereby keeping