Pre-Built Computer Prices

Dale Beams drbeams at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 22:06:27 CST 2003

James,

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

I buy and sell older computers myself.  I make pricing decisions by
comparing prices on e-bay, as well as using the computer blue book (
http://www.kbb.com/blue.html ).

Recently I placed a closed bid on two computers from a local business in
town.  I had taken a good look at what was included and made a bid i
thought was to low.  I however won the bid, removed the parts of value
to me or resell, and then set them up for relatives who had no computers.

The price for an older computer as I would sell them, would be an
average of prices I could buy on ebay + 10%.  Anyone buying a computer
from ebay is going to pay the 10% in shipping.  An example would be, buy
the computer for 50.00, the average ebay price for an equivalent si
60.00 + 10%.

Service costs (installation, configuration, etc.) can be priced the same
way.  Call around and ask different buisnesses what they charge,
calculate an average, and I normally price 10% below my competitor to
ensure I get the buisness.

Seperate your material cost from your service cost for tax purposes.
Seperating cost also helps the customer the value you are providing
him/her for your service.

ps.  The two computers I recently purchased had thier hard drives
intact.  I warned the secretary and buisness owner that I could recover
any information on the hard drive unless it had been sanitized.  I was
informed that the information was erased.  After inspecting the hard
drives, it is suprising what state government employees do with thier
time.  :-o  It is only fair to the prior owner that you sanitize the
drive before re-selling the old computer.

Dale B.