Disk Wipe Methods

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 04:30:08 CST 2003

All drives will drift extremely small amounts as they age and it is
theoretically possible to recover information by disassembling the drive
treading the platters with a magnetic die that would then be visible
under extremely high magnification.

Who would do it??? Probably no one.  After all, where is the reward?  To
recover deleted info in a murder trial or from a top secret government
project - perhaps it would be worthwhile - perhaps not.  Now if someone
happens to come across Warren Buffet's hard drive, yeah, there might be
some value in it, but unless there is serious information worth a lot of
bucks, it just wouldn't worth it.