Linux PDAs in KC metro?

David_Reynolds at kcmo.org David_Reynolds at kcmo.org
Tue Jan 21 18:41:52 CST 2003

Aside from being able to locate the Sharp Zaurus 5500 at Office Depot on
Metcalf, has anyone been able to find Linux-based PDAs in the KC metro
area?
I know you can buy them online, but it's always nice to have a hands-on try
at something like that before you plunk down a chunk of change on it.

I've seen a couple that I'm interested in (don't need the full power of the
Zaurus):
Royal's Lin at x looks like a strong device, but I wouldn't know if it's even
available aside from their website. It was supposed to debut mid-2002 with
a price of $299. Can't find a price point on their website now, but also no
news that it was cancelled per se.
http://www.royal.com/ecommerce/product.tcl?product_id=57
They also have the daVincis which run on Linux, for a lower cost, less
features. Anyone seen/used these? There seems to have been some controversy
over Royal 'abandoning' these, or strangling them in the crib even.

Empower Technologies has a couple of them: the PowerPlay III and PowerPlay
V. The newer (?) PowerPlay V looks a LOT like a Palm V, with an embedded
linux inside instead of PalmOS. Anyone gotten a chance to actually look at
one? They're selling via the website, but I don't see many elsewhere...
http://www.linuxda.com/store/ppvinfo.html

And then there is G.Mate's YOPY, but it does look a little cartoonish, plus
it has no price advantage over the instant-gratification of the Sharp
Zaurus (plus I already know the Zaurus works well, as my girlfriend has
one). http://www.gmate.com/shop/01_e.htm

Speaking of the Zaurus, I see they are planning on putting out the 400MHz
version in 1Q 2003....yikes...my last computer didn't have that much
processing power.

David Reynolds