Is this claim true, or not?

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Jan 21 03:53:33 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> [...]

No, I don't sell DSL, and I went on to say a well managed cable-modem
system seems to win over a well managed DSL system in all markets I've
got first-hand knowledge of (Topeka, San Antonio, San Francisco, and
Lawrence).  Poorly managed cable-modem systems, however, seem to allow a
handful of peak users to saturate a node, to the detriment of their
neighbors, while the fairly low "cap" on DSL links (typically 1.5 MBit/s
max) keeps a poorly run DSL provider from having the same problems (or
at least mitigating the affect somewhat).

I do use a "wimpy" SDSL connection, because even at my distance limited
384KBit/s rate, upload rates are faster than those for the local
cable-modem service (important for my VPN link), and I get a /26 block
of static IP's to go with it.  If (more likely when) the company I work
for goes tits up, I'll probably switch back to cable-modem service,
rather than ADSL...the SDSL link is too pricy to keep w/o a business
paying for the service with pre-tax $$$.

The devil's in the details...

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net