Is this claim true, or not?

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Sun Jan 19 23:12:41 CST 2003

Its all right and wrong.

DSL, your bandwidth to the co (last mile) is not shared.
Cable, last mile shared, encrypted between cable mode and node, that was
another myth used by dsl companys (they said you could spy on other
cable users).

DSL, once your to the co, your bandwidth is shared just like rest of the
internet
Cable, ditto

Cable can  carry 50+ megs of bandwith per channel dedicated to internet
in a node, if a node starts to fill up, then can use another channel,
and now bandwidth problem goes away.

So the your area can get slow if they have to many cable customers is
not a technology issue, but a customer service issue (monitoring to make
sure channel is not full).  And at that cable has many more subscribers
than dsl, so where is the wide spread bandwidth problems
(www.dslreports.com)?

So what has beeen said is true, go with what you like, dsl/cable, its
all internet.  I use cable, I had some bad times with covad and swb in
dallas (undocumented bridges made dsl install take months, i was 6,000
feet from co so the had to make dsl work), but other people have had
problems with cable installs.

Moral of the story, order who has the best deal in your area, if unhappy
with service switch.

Welcome to the free market.

-Bill