cdrecord - xawtv

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Jan 19 18:53:43 CST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, david at dacoto.com wrote:

> I have an ATI tv tuner card and I have installed Xawtv. When I open it
> up and try to set the settings to pick up my cable signal it wont work.
> I tried all possible configurations for Xawtv with no luck. I had the
> same problem before when I dual booted, I had to start the tvcard
> software in windoze first then I could boot to linux and it would work
> fine. Any links to info on this would be greatly appreciated.

The video4linux modules in the kernel are responsible for interfacing with
the card.  Hopefully, xawtv will see these modules.  If xawtv and other
applications are able to see these kernel modules, but still no picture,
try selecting the video source.  xawtv can select between composite, ntsc,
television, cabletv, etc...  The card has many video modes and gives xawtv
a choice.

Does the following command show you something that looks like video
modules installed:

cat /proc/modules

?

> Second, I need links to cdburning with cdrecord. I have tried 3 times
> and I get no errors, when I look at the cd visually it looks to be
> written but when I load it in the cd drive I see no files.

cdrecord will burn the image exactly as it was created, but how did you
create the image?  mkisofs is what I use to make the ISO image for
cdrecord.  I use the -J option so windows systems can see it, -R for
unix systems, and -l options for the full filenames under the ISO9660
extension.  Use all these options at once is recommended for multiple
systems.  xcdroast is a friendly graphical front end for cdrecrod AND
mkisofs that can help bring everything together and it will show you how
its all done too.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150