scheduling tasks

Matthew Freeland matthewfreeland at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 19 04:33:53 CST 2003

Salutations.  Does anyone know how to schedule tasks to run at a specified
time interval?  I have registered a domain name and am using a service
called everydns.net to route traffic from it's nameservers to my dynamic ip
address, since I am using roadrunner.  This service requires you to use an
IP address updating program to send your ip address to it's servers.  The
problem is, apparently, it must be run manually.  I have placed it in my
init.d folder, but because I do not plan on rebooting this server often, I
need a way to run the program at least once per hour.  Is there a way in
linux to schedule a program to run once per hour?  What would be even better
would be a script that would monitor my wan ip address and run the program
when it changes.  Could I write a shell script that would do this, and if
so, could someone give me a brief example of how it might be done?

Also, I am 18 and have recently joined kclug.  Are there any other members
out there whom are approximately my age?  I have been using linux for about
6 months now and absolutely love it.

Thank you in advance.

Matthew Freeland