Hard drives, quality

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Jan 17 15:58:53 CST 2003

The 80G is new, and the 20G is probably geared more towards being a spare.
"Spare Parts" drives are always expensive.  I bet an old 4.3G red-tab
Compaq drive would run you over $300 new these days, but the only reason
you would need one is to replace a failed drive in a critical system.  They
charge more because they can.

- Kevin

                    Jared Smith

                    <jared at trios.org>            To:     <kclug at kclug.org>

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Hard drives, quality

                    lliana.net

                    01/17/2003 11:26 AM

I'm buying four identical drives for RAID 5. I'm hoping to buy IBM, but if
someone has a better suggestion, I'm open by virtue of good evidence.
What puzzles me is, a 20G drive is $92. An 80G drive is $106.
What's up with that? I need stability above all; is the 20G
a better buy for this reason? Can anyone please explain
why it's roughly the same to buy these two very different sizes?

20G
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100414

80G
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100418