On my way to KC... a little help?

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Jan 17 15:37:14 CST 2003

I rode the bus to work in downtown KCMO for almost a year.  That was going
in from Lenexa for about 7 months, and from downtown Olathe for the rest of
it.  It was a good deal because I could get cheap monthly passes through
work.

If you live on Pflumm or 87th street in Lenexa, bus service is great.  The
buses show up every half hour in the morning, the drivers are courteous,
and the trip downtown is enjoyable, if a little long.  We had about 15
people on the bus on the average morning for most of the route, and that
ballooned to around 30 by the time it made it downtown.  Unfortunately, if
you live anywhere else in Lenexa, you will have a pretty long walk to get
to a bus stop.

Downtown Olathe, by contrast, was hardly bearable.  The bus showed up once,
and at 5:45 at that (about the time I wake up now).  The bus was always one
of those small, bumpy 20-passenger ones, and I found myself getting motion
sickness twice a day from the bumpy stop and go.  Drivers were less than
friendly (I was on one of the "trainee" routes), and the air conditioning
was usually out of commission on the bus.  I finally started having
gastrointestinal problems from the perpetual motion sickness, and they
cleared up as soon as I quit taking the bus.

I wish I could bear to still take the bus because it did save me a lot of
money, but between the lack of sleep and the stomach problems, it just
wasn't worth it.  Your mileage may vary.

- Kevin

                    Kurt Kessler

                    <kessler2k at yahoo.com>        To:     kclug at kclug.org

                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Re: On my way to KC...  a little
help?
                    lliana.net

                    01/17/2003 09:01 AM

While there is such thing as "The JO", biking would be
the quicker of the two. I lived in Lenexa for a good
many years. Very nice community, but all of Johnson
county for that matter, was designed with public
transportation as an afterthought. Difinitely come out
and do some scouting, and check out the area real
good. Look for the things that are most important to
you now where you currently live, and then look for
those types of businesses/services when making your
decision. I would have to agree with the earlier
comment, rent for a short time, then you will more
than enough time to make a permanent decision.

Kurt

--- Steven Elling <ellings at kcnet.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 03:23, Matt Graham
> wrote:
> > Ideally, I'd love to live close enough to the
> > office in Lenexa to ride public transit or bike
> in.
>
> [Laughter is heard throughout KC as KCLUG users read
> the statement and
> reflect on how pathetic public transit is.]
>

> majordomo at kclug.org
> Enter without the quotes in body of message

=====
32 bit extensions and a graphical
shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system
originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written
by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.