Firewalls and routers

Doug Bronson doug at bronson-tate.com
Mon Jan 13 18:49:48 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> The problem you're having would sound very straightforward except for one
> thing: you said that with the Linux firewall connected directly to the cable
> modem or a hub it works fine and passes all protocols.  Is that correct?

Yes.
Same configuration works fine when directly connected to the cable
modem. Also works fine when the router is REPLACED with a ethernet
switch.

The only difference is when connected to the modem, the incoming nic
card ip address is set to DCHP.

I have tried the same config. (incoming nic card ip address is set to
DCHP and router set to DCHP and or static) with the router in place with
no results.

> Which kernel are you on?

2.2.14

If you are needing to know the kernel version to see if it supports
IPTables. The answer is no.
I have had no luck recompiling the kernel.
Every time I've tried, I've had to completely rebuild the hard drive.

> Can you try ping, telnet, and ssh and see if they work?

I can ping yahoo, with the router in place. Telnet and ssh have not been
tried because my IP address keeps changing.
I have used HyperTerminal to dial into to box and did connect. But this
really don't mean much. All dial in scripts have been deactivated and or
removed.

I feel that I have a routing problem with the forwarding ip address that
the linux box is getting (or not getting) when going through the router.
But this don't make much sense because PMFirewall will allow me to
browse the internet (no ftp, aim or e-mail).

I'm lost.

I'm to the point of buying a Linksys router and trying it to see what
happens.

Doug