KVM problems

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Mon Jan 13 15:06:02 CST 2003

Some brands of systems just don't like KVM's at all, and I've also seen
particular brands of systems have problems with KVM's running Windows 2000.
IBM's are notable in both of these categories.  I've also seen some types
of KVM's that just don't work on anything less than 5 years old (I guess
the new stuff is more sensitive).  We've got a whole bunch of stuff we've
had to take out of service for that reason.  Some brands of systems won't
ever give you a lick of trouble, though, even with cheap crappy KVM's.
It's just the way they are wired.

If swapping it for the same unit doesn't work, try switching brands of KVM
in the same price range before you try buying the next unit up.  If you get
one that is wired differently, it might help.  Another less appealing
alternative is the "1 monitor, 2 mice" KVM technique, bypassing the KVM on
the machine that keeps losing the mouse; that should work every time.

One other note- I've seen problems with KVM's when you are using one of
those goofy "internet keyboards" that have lots of extra buttons across the
top for launching applications and stuff.  The KVM doesn't know how to
handle those signals, and that might interfere with things.  I'd stick to
as standard a keyboard as possible if you are going through a KVM.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Finch
Network Administrator
DST Systems, Inc.
816/435-6039
krfinch at dstsystems.com

                    zscoundrel

                    <zscoundrel at kc.rr.com>       To:     Matt Luettgen <matt at tccassociates.net>

                    Sent by:                     cc:     kclug at kclug.org

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i       Subject:     Re: KVM problems

                    lliana.net

                    01/12/2003 09:56 AM

Try taking it back and swapping for a different one.  Might be a problem
with the switching element.