KVM problems

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Mon Jan 13 01:25:58 CST 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 09:18, Matt Luettgen wrote:
> I bought a 4 port ps/2 KVM switch and keep loosing functionality of my
> keyboard and mouse, but mouse mostly.  I was wondering if there were
> any suggestions on a fix short of going digital.  I'm sure the problem
> is with the kvm and not the systems as if I mess with it enough I can
> regain control

Loosing the mouse is due to the KVM not having mouse emulation.  I've got a
2 port OmniView with this problem.

The way I deal with it is using gpm for mouse control with X Window using
the gpmdata fifo.  I've got init set up to run "/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm
restart" for the kbrequest action when it receives a KeyboardSignal, which
is set with a keymap.  So, when I switch to my Linux box, I do a
CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a console and then hit CTRL-ALT-ESC to send the
KeyboardSignal.